To-date a number of milestones have been registered as regards advocacy for population issues in Uganda as a result of advocacy effort by POPSEC along with partners including civil society, the media and development partners, which has led to:
- Formulation of an explicit National Population Policy promulgated by the Government in 1995 and revised in 2008, which along with a National Population Action Plan are now under implementation.
- Coordination of effective implementation of the National Population Policy and programmes countrywide.
- Increased understanding of inter-linkages between population and development issues thus putting them on the nation’s development agenda.
- Increased integration of population variables into development plans and programmes at national, sectoral, district and lower levels.
- Use of population data in various formats such The State of the Population Reports, policy briefs; research briefs and synopsizes e.t.c to advocate for key population issues pertinent
- An institutional framework for the implementation of the population policy and programmes has been established at district and lower levels.
- Established strategic partnerships with Government Line Ministries and agencies, Parliament, Civil Society Organizations, International Organizations and development partners on population and development issues.
- Mobilised resources for the implementation of the National Population Policy and Programme.
- A number of polices and guidelines have been developed