The National Population Council is mandated to:
- Promote, Guide and Coordinate the implementation of the National Population Policy and Programme ensuring policy and coherence.
- Support the integration of Population factors in development planning at National and lower Local Government levels in accordance with the agreed framework under the National Development Plan.
- Advocate for Policies, Programmes, Strategies and Resources to address population issues.
- Monitor and evaluate the country population programmes in accordance with the agreed framework under the National Development Plan.
- Analyse, interpret and document demographic trends and their implications on socio economic development;
- Commission research and policy oriented studies to inform policy and programming.
- Advise the president on population matters.